QUOTE!

"If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...Would you slow down? Or speed up?" — Chuck Palahniuk

Monday, May 26, 2008

"Maniac Monday's - The Third Law Of Motion!"

*Since I have to work today and since I have been working all weekend, notice the ads and stuff? Make sure you click on something that catches your eye. You can get a great bargain and I can make a little "click thru revenue". Now that the business end of this blog has been taken care of it is time to get back to posting.



"To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction: or, the mutual actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal, and directed to contrary parts." -Newtons 3rd LAW of Motion

The image “http://www.williamsclass.com/EighthScienceWork/ImagesEighth/DemonstratorthirdLaw.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

In other words: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." To illustrate this even further we will use Americas Pastime...Baseball! Nothing like the sound of the crack of a bat on a midsummers night.

Now, no matter how many steroids or human growth hormone Roger Clemens takes he will never ever be able to throw a baseball THRU a bat! Unless Roger is throwing bowling balls and they are not going to go thru the bat but smash it into pieces when they strike! Ceramic (bowling ball) is much harder than wood (bat)!



Figure 3. Meep! Meep!

I Had a Car Crash by Roadrunner
(September 11, 2007)

Yesterday, I was driving from Tucson to Saguaro National Park in my big ol' Toyota Landcruiser. It was a perfect day -- no Wile E. Coyote and not a cloud in the sky.

Unfortunately, I was involved in a collision with a big Dump Truck.

I was going about 50 mph as I came over a hill and saw this big truck in my way. It was too late to steer around it. But I knew what to do! Using what I'd learned about physics on 9/11-forums recently, I knew if I hit my brakes I would still be going 25 mph at impact. My SUV would be wiped out in the collision with the huge truck, so instead I put the pedal to the metal and I must have been going 150 mph by the time I hit it. My quick thinking saved me. The stationary truck could not stand up to the massive kinetic energy of my Toyota. I sliced through that big truck and left a neat hole the exact shape of my Landcruiser (just like I always do). It was really cool how my Toyota and I remained perfectly intact.

Just before the front of my SUV came out from the other end of the Dump Truck, I realized that any moment my car would suddenly shred into nothing and me with it. Just in the nick of time, I flung open the door and jumped out.

I thought my SUV completely disappeared, but they found the steering wheel 500 feet away and apparently one of the headrests flew over Mount Lemmon (el. 9,157 ft.) and landed on top of a saguaro cactus where the sheriff photographed it.

I am eternally indebted to Arabesque, reprehensor, and Greg Jenkins for saving my life because it was their words which I remembered in that split second when I had to decide whether to brake or accelerate. The speed of my impact with that huge Dump Truck made a huge difference. If I had hit my brakes, my car and I would have been wiped out.

P.S. I really appreciate the person from ACME Steel Airplane Company who found my passport and turned it in. It was on the back seat when I went through the Dump Truck and of course it ended up near the Dump Truck after my Landcruiser disappeared.

P.P.S. I am also thankful that I was driving a Toyota Landcruiser. Deputy Reynolds told me that if I had been in a hulking Ford Expedition, I would not be here today. But, thank God, Landcruisers behave differently in a crash situation. -Dr. Morgan Reynolds


Figure 4. Speeding 2003 Toyota Landcruiser ended up under this
truck.


One more example...

Q: A speeding plane strikes the wall of a ("motionless") Tower. Obviously this contact between objects is a case of Newton's third law of motion. An aluminum plane hits the steel building and the building hits the plane. Which of the two forces is greater: the force on the plane or the force on the building?

A: Each force is the same size. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The fact that the steel beams, spandrel belts, and steel-reinforced concrete floors of 5-6 stories shatter, fragment and form an airplane-shaped gash...OOPS...you're kidding! This correction just in: the fact that an aluminum plane crumples, shatters and leaves no "airplane-shaped silhouette of passage" in a collision against massive quantities of structural steel only means that with its lower mass, density and strength relative to the building, the plane is far less able to withstand the equal force exerted on both bodies.

Any questions?!




THE LAWS OF PHYSICS CANNOT BE BROKEN!
10-acious_D

The New Defenders Of Physics~!







No comments: